The holiday season is here!
Most of us love this time of year for countless reasons. I personally love Christmas and all the tasty creations that we get to eat!
Not only do we get to eat fun food, but many of us also will enjoy some fun cocktails. Unfortunately, alcohol isn’t the healthiest of choices when it comes to achieving a better physique or losing weight.
Alcohol is quickly absorbed by our body and doesn’t burn calories as it’s digested like actual food does. It also packs a whopping seven calories per gram, is metabolized as a toxin in our liver, and can increase the intensity of cravings as it causes our blood sugar to drop.
So how do we sip smarter and still enjoy a few cocktails? Is it even possible?
The answer to these questions isn’t clear-cut, but there are ways you can sip smarter this holiday season with some healthy drinks.
Here are a Few Tips for Choosing Healthy Drinks
- Avoid mixes: Concoctions such as eggnog and margaritas are packed with hundreds of calories and a lot of sugar.
- Mix with water or diet sodas: Sip smarter by grabbing zero-calorie beverages to pair with alcohol, such as sparkling water, diet soda and diet tonic water.
- Drink water: Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water throughout the night. It’ll also help keep you fuller and allow you to recover quicker from the effects of alcohol.
- Don’t skip meals: While eating food and drinking alcohol can pack on major calories, it’s important to make sure you aren’t drinking your calories because you’re hungry. Fill up on healthy foods and water instead of cocktails!
- Know your light options: When you want to sip smarter, it’s always a good idea to know which choices are the lowest in calories. Spirits such as vodka and gin have zero grams of sugar and are roughly 95-100 calories per 1.5 ounces. Other low-calorie options (in moderation) are red wine and Champagne (100-125 calories per 4- to 5-ounce glass).